有没有些英文句子让你珍藏了很久?

 

《杀死一只知更鸟》摘抄。

环境描写
场景描写
动作描写
感觉描写
神态描写
外貌描写
语言描写
思考
⭐启发
妙句

原著PDF和本篇词句的PDF,

关注公众号”X写字的地方”,

后台回复关键词领取。↓↓↓

希望对你有帮助~


环境描写

Summer was a thousand colors in a parched landscape.

夏天是干燥的风景里上千种的色彩。

The back porch was bathed in moonlight.

整个后廊都沐浴在月光里。

In summertime, twilights are long and peaceful. Often as not, Miss Maudie and I would sit silently on her porch, watching the sky go from yellow to pink as the sun went down, watching flights of martins sweep low over the neighborhood and disappear behind the schoolhouse rooftops.

夏天黄昏的时光悠长而安宁。我和莫迪小姐常常安静地坐在她家前廊上,看着太阳落下去,西边的天空由金黄变成粉红;看着一群群的燕子低飞掠过街区,消失在学校房顶的后面。

The moon was setting and the latticework shadows were fading into fuzzy nothingness.

月亮下去了,窗格的影子暗淡而模糊。

The night-crawlers had retired, but ripe chinaberries drummed on the roof when the wind stirred, and the darkness was desolate with the barking of distant dogs.

夜蚯蚓已经歇息了,可是有熟透的楝子被风吹落,咚咚地敲打着房顶,还有远处的狗吠声,让这黑夜显得更加凄凉孤寂。

There are no clearly defined seasons in South Alabama; summer drifts into autumn, and autumn is sometimes never followed by winter, but turns to a days-old spring that melts into summer again.

亚拉巴马南部没有分明的四季:夏天不知不觉变成了秋天,秋天的后面有时并不总跟着冬天,却变成了短短几日的春天,过后又马上融入夏天。

August was on the brink of September.

八月就要过去了。

Street lights winked down the street all the way to town.

街上的灯光明明灭灭。

 

场景描写

People moved slowly then. They ambled across the square, shuffled in and out of stores around it, took their time about everything.

amble v.漫步;shuffle v.拖着脚走

那时人们走得很慢。他们在广场上漫步,在周围的商店里进进出出,什么事都从容不迫。

A storm of laughter broke loose.

教室里爆发出一阵笑声。

I watched the class file out for lunch.

鱼贯而出。

We saw fire spewing from her dining room windows.

火从她餐厅的窗子里向外涌。

As if to confirm what we saw, the town fire siren wailed up the scale to a treble pitch and remained there, screaming.

⭐【妙】好像为了证实我们眼前看到的情景似的,镇上的火灾警报也拉响了。它比平常拔了三倍的音高,不停气地尖叫着。

Roaring, the house collapsed; fire gushed everywhere.

⭐只听“轰隆”一声,房子塌了;火焰到处喷涌。

I crawled into his lap and tucked my head under his chin.

我爬进他怀里,脑袋蜷在他下巴底下。

This time, I split my knuckle to the bone on his front teeth. My left impaired, I sailed in with my right, but not for long. Uncle Jack pinned my arms to my sides and said, “Stand still!”

这一次,我一拳打在他门牙上,指关节伤到了骨头。左手坏了,我便用右手起劲地打,可惜没能打太久。杰克叔叔把我的双臂夹在两侧,说:“别动!”

A black Ford swung into the driveway.

一辆黑色的福特车急速驶进车道

The rifle cracked. Tim Johnson leaped, flopped over and crumbled on the sidewalk.

枪响了。蒂姆·约翰逊跳起来,重重落下去,棕白色的一堆,倒在人行道上。

Two geological ages later, we heard the soles of Atticus’s shoes scrape the front steps.

过了大约两个地质年代之后,我们听见了阿蒂克斯的鞋底摩擦前门台阶的声音。

The sound had a dull permanence about it.

声音很沉闷,久久地回响着。

Laughter broke them up.

他们笑着散开了。

Doors slammed, engines coughed, and they were gone.

车门嘭嘭地关上了,发动机吭哧吭哧响了,接着他们便扬长而去。

Below us, the spectators drew a collective breath and leaned forward.

观众们倒吸一口凉气,向前探身。

The red velvet curtain rippled and billowed from the scurrying going on behind it.

红丝绒幕布被后面急促的跑动弄得卷曲翻腾着。

After ten forevers Dr.Reynolds returned.

过了很久他才回来。

 

动作描写

No amount of signing could induce Atticus to let us spend Christmas day at home.

不管我们怎样唉声叹气,都不能诱使阿蒂克斯让我们在家过圣诞。

He issued a general denial.

他当场否认。

He sunned himself in the swing.

他在秋千上晒太阳。

He dragged the reason out of her.

他逼问她原因。

He ran his hands down his thighs.

【妙】他把手放在大腿上。

 

感觉描写

Safely on our porch, panting and out of breath, we looked back.

⭐两个状语

I returned to school and hated Cal steadily until a sudden shriek shattered my resentment.

⭐用词丰富

Ground, sky and houses melted into a mad palette, my ears throbbed, I was suffocating.

地面,天空,房屋,全都融在一起,成了一个乱七八糟的调色板,我的耳朵在轰鸣,我感到窒息。

Dizzy and nauseated, I lay on the cement and shook my head still, pounded my ears to silence.

我躺在水泥地上,又晕,又恶心。我使劲摇着脑袋想让它停下来别转了,用力掴着耳朵想让它静下来。

“Do you smell my mimosa? It’s like angels’ breath this evening.”

“你闻见我的含羞花了吗?它今晚闻起来就像天使的呼吸。”

I was trying to fight down the automatic terror rising in me.

我极力克制着内心升起的恐惧。

Safely behind it, we gave way to numbness, but Jem’s mind was racing.

安全地跑到树后,我们都要瘫了,可是杰姆的脑子还在飞速运转。

Jem and I were burdened with the guilt of…

我们因为…内疚。

Soft taffeta-like sounds and muffled scurrying sounds filled me with helpless dread.

轻微的噼啪声和低沉急促的脚步声传来,让我心中充满了绝望和恐惧。

Talking to Francis gave me the sensation of settling slowly to the bottom of the ocean.

和弗兰西斯聊天总给我一种慢慢沉入海底的感觉。

She hurt my feelings and set my teeth permanently on edge.

她伤了我的心,把我气得要死。

Time had slowed to a nauseating crawl.

时间慢得令人恶心,就像是在爬。

Jem sat in numb confusion.

杰姆还处在麻木困惑的状态中。

Hot embarrassment shot through me.

我尴尬得浑身发热。

I peeked at Jem: his hands were white from gripping the balcony rail, and his shoulders jerked as if each “guilty” was a separate stab between them.

我偷眼看了看杰姆,他的手在栏杆上抓得发白,两个肩膀一耸一耸的,好像每一声“有罪”都像刀子捅在他的胸口。

He seems to have a permanent running grudge against everybody.

深重的怨恨。

A strange small spasm shook him, as if he heard fingernails scrape slate,

他全身掠过一阵奇怪而轻微的痉挛,好像听到了指甲刮石板的声音。

 

神态描写

As he told us the old tale his blue eyes would lighten and darken.

眼睛忽明忽暗。

I waited for his light to go on, straining my eyes to see it flood the hall.

我等着他的灯亮起来,睁大眼睛看灯光是否泻到了过道里。

I began to feel sweat gathering at the edges of my hair.

我的鬓角开始冒汗了。

Her face was a mixture of terror and fury.

I stole a glance at Jem.

我偷偷看了他一眼。

 

恐惧

I looked up to see Miss Cal standing in the middle of the room, sheer horror flooding her face.

我抬头看见卡罗琳小姐站在教室中央,脸上充满了恐惧。

His face contracted.

他的脸皱起来。

She watched the process in horrid fascination.

卡罗琳小姐惊恐万状地观看了全过程。

A faint breeze stirred and cooled the sweat running down my sides.

一阵微风吹来,我两胁下全是冷汗。

My scalp jumped.

我头皮发麻。

Jem’s eyes nearly popped out of his head.

杰姆的眼睛几乎要瞪出来了。

Jem was thunderstruck.

Jem好像遭了雷击。

A flash of plain fear was going out of his eyes.

他眼里闪过一丝惊恐。

 

开心

He arrived in a blaze of glory.

他神气活现地出现了。

She looked around, and the shadow of her old grin crossed her face.

莫迪小姐回过头来,露出了我们熟悉的笑容。

It was over. We bounded down the sidewalk on a spree of sheer relief, leaping and howling.

终于结束了。我们带着彻底解脱的狂喜跳下人行道,一路上又蹦又叫。

Atticus tried to stifle a smile but didn’t make it.

阿蒂克斯努力想憋住一个微笑,可是没有成功。

 

痛苦

His face was streaked with angry tears as we made our way through the cheerful crowd.

当我们穿过欢腾的人群时,他脸上已布满了一道道愤怒的泪水。

When he settled back his face was cloudy. He was going into one of his declines, and I grew wary. His brows came together; his mouth became a thin line.

等他平静下来回过身,他的脸上布满了阴云。他又心情不好了,我小心起来。他的眉毛拧在了一起,他的嘴巴抿成了一条线。

 

外貌描写

She was all angles and bones.

骨瘦如柴。

She wore bangs.

她有刘海。

 

语言描写

Impatience crept into her voice.

…“No sir,” said Jem, reddening.

I found Jem and Dill in the back yard deep in conversation.

热烈讨论。

Jem’s breath came in sobs.

杰姆的喘息变成了抽泣。

Jem waved my words away as if fanning gnats.

杰姆像驱赶蚊虫般挥了挥手,对我的话置之不理。

His voice was like the winter wind.

我们听见他在喊,声音像冬天的风。

“Did she die free?”

“As the mountain air,”

“她死得了无牵挂吗?”

“像山岚一样轻盈。”

“Miss A,” said Atticus, in spite of himself.

他不由自主地说。

He rained questions on her.

他劈头盖脸问了很多问题。

She murmured in varying degrees of intensity.

她呢喃着,声音时轻时重。

I wailed in dismay.

我沮丧地哭了一声。

 

思考

I was bursting with a sudden thought.

我突然想到了一个点子。

The fact that … has slipped Jem’s memory.

他已经忘记了…

Beautiful things floated around in his dreamy head.

他满脑子奇思妙想。

He had finally seen the light.

他终于想明白了。

The events of the summer hung over us like smoke in a closed room.

可那个夏天发生的事,像封闭房间里的烟雾一样,萦绕着我们挥之不去。

Judge’s attention was wrenched from the page by an irritating scratching noise.

思绪被打断。

例:He wrenched his mind back to the present. 他从回忆中醒来。

 

启发

You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view; until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.

如何感同身受。

We could not hold her responsible when she knew no better.

我们不能因为她了解不够就责备她。

There are just some kind of men who — who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one

就是有那么一些人,他们——他们太担心来世了,以至于都没学会怎样在这个世界上生活。

You might hear some ugly talk about it at school, but do one thing for me if you will: you just hold your head high and keep those fists down. No matter what anybody says to you, don’t you let them get your goat. Try fighting with your head for a change…

你在学校里可能会听到一些不好的议论,但有一件事可以请你为我做:抬起头,放下拳头。不管别人对你说什么,都不要发火。试着用头脑去抗争……

Simply because we were licked a hundred years before we started is no reason for us not to try to win.

不能因为我们在此之前已经失败了一百年,就认为我们没有理由去争取胜利。

lick (informal) 轻松战胜;轻易对付

to easily defeat sb or deal with sth

例:We thought we had them licked.

我们以为已经轻易地把他们对付过去了。

When a child asks you something, answer him, for goodness’ sake. But don’t make a production of it. children are children, but they can pot an evasion quicker than adults, and evasion simply muddles them.

当一个孩子问你问题时,看在上帝分上,你要好好回答他。千万不要编故事。孩子虽然是孩子,可他们能比成人更快地发现你在回避,而这种回避只会把他们弄糊涂了。

People in their right minds never take pride in their talents.

心智正常的人从不会恃才而傲。

Sometimes we have to make the best of things, and the way we conduct ourselves when the chips are down.

可是有时候我们必须走一步看一步,在关键时刻,我们要引导自己向……

⭐⭐ “Well, most folks seem to think they’re right and you’re wrong…”

“They’re certainly entitled to think that, and they’re entitled to full respect for their opinions,” said Atticus,“but before I can live with other folks I’ve got to live with myself. The one thing that don’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience.”

“呃,大部分人好像都认为他们是对的,你是错的……”

“他们当然有权那样认为,他们的观点也有权受到完全的尊重,”阿蒂克斯说,“但是在我能和别人过得去之前,我首先要和自己过得去。有一种东西不能遵循从众原则,那就是人的良心。”

There was no point in saying you were sorry if you aren’t.

如果你不觉得有什么歉可抱,你就没有必要说抱歉。

⭐⭐I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It’s when you know you’re licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do.

我想让你见识一下什么是真正的勇敢,而不要错误地认为一个人手握枪支就是勇敢。勇敢是:当你还未开始就已知道自己会输,可你依然要去做,而且无论如何都要把它坚持到底。你很少能赢,但有时也会。

Equal rights for all, special privileges for none.

人人平等。

妙句

He always took her side.

他总是向着她。

It will make us behave for days on end.

规矩好几天。

It’s pinch dark.

伸手不见五指。

fingernail polish

指甲油

undo the damage

弥补损失

You are starting off on the wrong foot in every way.

出师不利。

hands on hips

叉腰

I told Cal to just wait, I’d fix her.

给我等着,我早晚收拾你。

I suggested that A lose no time in packing her off.

我建议阿蒂克斯立马让她卷铺盖走人。

below the belt

下三滥

fix supper

做饭

I’ll be dogged.

我不管。

dogged

If you describe someone’s actions as dogged, you mean that they are determined to continue with something even if it becomes difficult or dangerous. 顽强的

Let us leave it at this.

我们这么说吧。

I run errands for him.

我给他跑腿。

It’s unanimous that…

全体一致认为…

bits and scraps

只言片语

She had never told on us.

她从来不说我们的坏话。

I was raveling a thread.

我在解释这件事。

Jem fielded Dill’s fly with his eyes shut.

他闭着眼接下他的话茬。

I told you to stay put.

我告诉过你留在原地。

I couldn’t hold up my head in town.

我抬不起头。

I merely bowed to the inevitable.

我这么做是迫不得已的。

as sure as eggs

毫无疑问

She was a back-porch listener.

她擅长偷听。

I was in for it.

我要有麻烦了。

You’ve never laid a hand on her.

你从来没有打过她。

You work your head off.

你不断工作。

in ones and twos

三三两两

fight tooth and nail

拼尽全力反抗

As they say: the proof of the pudding is in eating it.

常言道:布丁好坏,一吃便知。(实践出真知)

look dagger at 怒视

use phrase out of context 断章取义

I was blue in the face.

筋疲力尽。

You have to hand it to Atticus Finch.

你不得不佩服他。

You have many more miles to go.

= You have a long way to go.

你还有很长的路要走。

This is the last straw.

他们忍无可忍了。

They had lost no time in greeting her view on his demise.

迫不及待

go to bed with the chicken

早早睡下

put two and two together

根据事实推理

bide one’s time

等待时机

 

情感

With him, life was routine; without him, life was unbearable.

有他在,生活才正常;没他在,生活就难以忍受。

 

评价

If your father is anything, he’s civilized in his heart.

如果说你们父亲有什么特殊的地方,那就是他那颗文明高贵的心。

There are some men in this world who were born to do our unpleasant jobs for us. Your father’s one of them.

还有更新鲜的好词好句摘抄系列,也欢迎关注【安利号】公众号~

原创文章,作者:江山画,如若转载,请注明出处:http://wpbbw.com/7144.html

发表评论

登录后才能评论